Specific information regarding the Communication Sciences and Disorders' Acute Care Speech Language Pathology practicum led by Carley Evans MS CCC SLP. Carley is a medical speech pathologist at the Evelyn Trammell Institute for Voice and Swallowing of the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. If you are new to this practicum, start with the oldest post listed in Archive.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

CHF and Aspiration Pneumonia

The explanation takes a little time to set up so I hope it is worth the wait. This is very condensed from what usually takes a couple of hours to properly describe so I apologize in advance if it is overly simplified. There are some great textbooks that explain this stuff clearly and with good detail.



Congestive heart failure is the inability of the heart to pump blood with adequate pressure to maintain the physiologic demands of organs. It occurs when the myocardium (heart muscle) becomes weak. There are several causes of this progressive weakening of the myocardium. One is disease of the heart muscle itself (cardiomyopathy). Another is arterial hypertension which forces the left ventricle to pump blood against too much resistance for a long period of time, until the muscle itself is overcome by the excessive workload. (The heart muscle first becomes thickened or hypertrophic just as your skeletal muscles get larger when you exercise but heart exercise is good only up to a point.). Likewise, pulmonary hypertension can cause right sided heart failure because the right ventricle is pumping blood through the pulmonary circulation against excessive resistance.



It is this last example that might partially answer your question. Diseases of the lungs such as some forms of COPD (emphysema in particular) can destroy portions of the respiratory membrane which is formed by the alveolar membrane plus the pulmonary capillaries. When the capillaries are destroyed the blood flow into the lungs (to pick up oxygen and get rid of CO2) is blocked so the right ventricle is pumping some blood into a dead end, the pressure in these vessels becomes very high. The result of this pulmonary hypertension is the leakage of material from the blood (that should not leak out of the circulatory system) into the lung. This example is one way that patients develop pulmonary edema (this fluid leakage into the lung is defined as pulmonary edema caused by congestive heart failure). Similarly this heart failure causes fluid to accumulate in the pleural cavity (the space outside of the lungs between the inner and outer pleural membranes that line the lungs and chest cavity).



OK so now we have COPD as a source of CHF. Patients with COPD have reduced mucociliary clearance, reduced expiratory capacity, both of which increase the patient’s resistance to infection (i.e. pneumonia) which are some reasons that COPD patients have a higher risk of any type of pneumonia. These patients also have a different pattern of breathing/swallowing coordination than normals that disrupts the typical “swallow at the onset of exhalation” pattern that predominates in normals, and also increases the respiratory rate above a normal (12-20 or so breaths per minute) further discoordinating (I don’t know if that is a real word) swallow-breathing. Likewise COPD patients exhibit more frequent laryngeal penetration than normals (Mokhlesi, Logemann, Rademaker, Stangl, & Corbridge, 2002; Good-Fratturelli, Curlee, & Holle, 2000)



CHF itself and the associated pulmonary edema and pleural effusions, reduce respiratory surface area by restricting inflation of the lungs (effusions) or by obstructing air from the respiratory membrane (edema). The result of either is the patient has to breathe more times per minute (increased respiratory rate- see above).



There are some good studies that show the association between COPD and dysphagia, and CHF and dysphagia, (see below) but the link between these conditions and dysphagia, as well as the link to subsequent pneumonia risk, is based on the understanding of the pathophysiology of those diseases and mostly based on animal studies, though the inferences are very strong. For example, we know the above processes take place in these diseases, and we know that these patients have increased respiratory rate, swallow-respiratory coordination abnormalities, higher incidence of pneumonia, etc., so we infer that the diseases’ properties explain some if not all of the association between them and dysphagia, increased pneumonia risk, etc. (Langmore, Skarupski, Park, & Fries, 2002).



Cricopharyngeal dysfunction is also seen in some patients with COPD and this can contribute to prandial aspiration and increased likelihood of inoculating thelungs with pathogens ((Good-Fratturelli, Curlee, & Holle, 2000; Langmore, Skarupski, Park, & Fries, 2002; Mokhlesi, 2003; Mokhlesi, Logemann, Rademaker, Stangl, & Corbridge, 2002; Stein, Williams, Grossman, Weinberg, & Zuckerbraun, 1990).



Cheers,



James L. Coyle, Ph.D., CCC-SLP, BRS-S

Assistant Professor, Communication Science and Disorders

University of Pittsburgh



Confidential University of Pittsburgh information. Any unauthorized or improper disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this e-mail or attached documents is prohibited. The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete the original message.



Good-Fratturelli, M. D., Curlee, R. F., & Holle, J. L. (2000). Prevalence and nature of dysphagia in VA patients with COPD referred for videofluoroscopic swallow examination. Journal of Communication Disorders, 33(2), 93-110.

Langmore, S. E., Skarupski, K. A., Park, P. S., & Fries, B. E. (2002). Predictors of aspiration pneumonia in nursing home residents. Dysphagia, 17(4), 298-307.

Mokhlesi, B. (2003). Clinical implications of gastroesophageal reflux disease and swallowing dysfunction in COPD. American Journal of Respiratory Medicine, 2(2), 117-121.

Mokhlesi, B., Logemann, J. A., Rademaker, A. W., Stangl, C. A., & Corbridge, T. C. (2002). Oropharyngeal deglutition in stable COPD. Chest., 121(2), 361-369.

Stein, M., Williams, A. J., Grossman, F., Weinberg, A. S., & Zuckerbraun, L. (1990). Cricopharyngeal dysfunction in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest.97(2):347-52.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi friends
Do not miss your chance to get a free ipad. Visit http://bit.ly/cmmVr7

Anonymous said...

Il semble que vous soyez un expert dans ce domaine, vos remarques sont tres interessantes, merci.

- Daniel

maggie.danhakl@healthline.com said...

Hi Carley,

Healthline just launched a campaign for called "You Are Not Your COPD" where COPD patients share their story or advice about living with the disease. You can see the homepage for the campaign here: http://www.healthline.com/health/copd/inspirational-stories

We have partnered with the COPD Foundation to promote the campaign and have pledged that for every submitted story, Healthline will donate $10 to the COPD Foundation.

I am writing to ask if you can help spread the word about this campaign by including it as a resource on your page: http://tcuspeechpracticum.blogspot.com/2009/05/chf-and-aspiration-pneumonia.html

The more stories we receive the more Healthline will donate to COPD research, support, and treatment programs. Would you please consider including this on your site or sharing with your followers?

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you,
Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

About Us: corp.healthline.com

Kang Nurul Iman said...

Thank you very Steady info ... hopefully more successful.
Pengobatan Herbal Jantung Lemah

Unknown said...


For people suffering from COPD, it is important for them to know that they are not alone. I was also a victim.
I had experienced shortness of breath, coughing, recurring chest infections and bronchitis. But I didn't realize that I had COPD until I went to my doctor and was diagnosed with COPD. The first thing I did was get myself informed. Having COPD hasn't slowed me down. Even though I had COPD I still played golf and involved myself in different exercise though I started smoking at 19 years of age I smoked almost a pack a day. The doctor had told me to quit smoking, it was frightening and frustrating, I thought it was to avoid stress. I learned about Dr. Lance Herbal Medicine from a friend. Now my life has turned around for good because I consider myself most fortunate.
There are so many people out there who have COPD and don’t realize it.
If you have COPD, many things are available to help you live a full, comfortable life don’t be ashamed of it.
I can’t speak for everyone. I can guarantee that this Herbal Medicine will work for you and I suggest you try it. It has done wonders for me. contact him on lancejustin54@gmail.com for more information and advice.

Vig Power Capsule said...

Terima kasih atas informasinya, sangat bermanfaat sekali :)

Cara Menyembuhkan Retina Putus
Obat Tradisional Jantung Bocor

Obat Tradisional Jantung Bocor said...

Thanks for the information. Once very beneficial to us all. Awaited further information.

Cara Menurunkan Berat Badan Tanpa Olahraga

Heru Hendarin said...

thnks for your information. thats so good
please visit me in here Harga Ganoderma Plus Capsule

Heru Hendarin said...

thnks for your information. thats so good
Manfaat Lecithin Softgel
Gastric Health tablet Green World
Khasiat Cordyceps plus capsule
Harga Ganoderma Plus capsule
Manfaat Ovary Nutrition capsule
Manfaat triflex capsule Green World
Manfaat Eye Care softgel Green world
Cara Pemesanan Ginkgo biloba plus capsule
Agen Eye Care softgel Bandung
Khasiat Braincare capsule

Heru Hendarin said...

Excellent information and very useful mas bro. Greetings from us.
we are waiting for further information.
Harga dan Manfaat Ginkgo Biloba plus Capsule
Obat Benjolan di Payudara
Harga Brain Care Capsule
Obat Maag untuk Ibu Hamil

Unknown said...

The information is very good and very useful. I really like it and I am also waiting for the post information.

Obat Herbal Keputihan
Obat Herbal Penyumbatan Tuba Falopi
Obat Herbal Radang Panggul
Obat Herbal Nyeri Haid
Obat Tradisional Pembersih Paru Paru
Cara Mengobati Syringoma
Cara Mengobati Trigliserida Tinggi
Cara Menyembuhkan Syaraf Terjepit

Unknown said...

The information is very good and very useful. I really like it and I am also waiting for the post information.

Cara Mengobati Kelenjar Getah Bening
Obat Kolesterol Tinggi Di Apotik
Obat Luka Diabetes
Obat Herbal Penyumbatan Tuba Falopi
Jelly Gamat Walatra
Obat Tradisional Polip Usus

Unknown said...

My dad had CHF I never knew he will live till now, his heart muscles were very week, he is always in the hospital. I told my friend what was going on and then she directed me to an herbal doctor who save her sister from CHF, I contacted him and he told me what to do and gave him some herbal medicine for treatment . after a period of time we went for checkup and the doctor told us his heart is now circulating blood properly, now my dad is so healthy, no heart failure, he has never complained of any issues about his health since Dr oviawe treated him with his herbal medicine. You can contact him on his Email address (dr.oviaweherbalhome@gmail.com)

Joyce Hillary said...

All thanks to this great herbal doctor who cured me from (LUPUS DISEASE) his name is dr imoloa.  I suffered lupus disease for over 8 years with pains like: joints, Skin rash,  Pain in the chest,  swollen joints and many more.  The anti-inflammatory drugs couldn’t cure me, until I read about his recommendation. 2 months ago, I contacted him through his email address. drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com . and he sent me the herbal treatment through DHL courier service and he instructed me on how to drink it for good two weeks. after then,  And I was confirmed cured and free at the hospital after taken his powerful herbal medications You too can be cured with it if interested, he also uses his powerful herbal healing medicine to cure disease like:parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy,  Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease,  Back Pain,  Back Sprain,   Bipolar Disorder,  Brain Tumour,  Malignant,  Bruxism, Bulimia,  Cervical Disk Disease, cardiovascular disease, Neoplasms,  chronic respiratory disease,  mental and behavioural disorder,  Cystic  Fibrosis,  Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma,  Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis.  chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, back pain,  impotence,  feta  alcohol spectrum,  Dysthymic Disorder,   Eczema, skin cancer,  tuberculosis,  Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation, inflammatory bowel  disease, bone cancer, lungs cancer,  mouth ulcer,  mouth cancer, body pain, fever, hepatitis A.B.C.,   syphilis,  diarrhea,  HIV/AIDS,  Huntington's Disease,  back acne,  Chronic renal failure,   addison disease,  Chronic Pain,   Crohn's  Disease,   Cystic Fibrosis,  Fibromyalgia,   Inflammatory Bowel Disease,  fungal  nail disease, Lyme Disease, Celia disease, Lymphoma, Major  Depression,  Malignant Melanoma,   Mania,  Melorheostosis,   Meniere's  Disease,  Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis,  Muscular  Dystrophy,  Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease      Contacts him today  and get permanently cure. contact him via... email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com  /whatssapp-+2347081986098.

Glen Charles said...

I am 58 years old, and was diagnosed with heart failure over a year ago. My main symptoms was fatigue, shortness of breath, and a general sense that these symptoms will keep me out of normal life activities, my symptom was not being able to breathe when lying down basically . I’ve kind of resigned to the fact that this is how life will be for me back until I found herbs that stop this CHF easily and relief all the airways. My wife and her caregiver assume I can't be as active, and thus I was excused from normal life responsibilities but natural herbs from totalcureherbalfoundation.blogspot .com really helped a but sometimes I think is God prodigy that I was able to treat my congestive heart failure but total cure herbs foundation herbal formula has a big impact on my recovery because my heart condition has been fully eliminate. They do things for me, and was too happy to comply with their service. This is a equitable of a way to get of your heart failure.

Dr Rick said...

We offer top quality cannnnabis products, we have multiple strains available , buy concentrates online usa and even ask that your package be shipped discreetly ,there is a minimal fee for delivery within the state but shipment around the world has to be done discreetly .
buy concentrates online use
where to buy silk screen for hash
trippy stick cartridges
cannabis for sale
key lime pie strain yield
purple haze seeds for sale uk
alaskan thunder funk weed

alaskan thunder cartridge
buy edibles online ship anywhere
pure cbd crystals for sale
buy shatter online cheap usa
blue sherbet strain review
hempotion

pictures of sour diesel weed
electric kush

buy alaskan thunderfuck online
diesel weed
ak 47 aaa hybrid
buy marijuana edibles online
buy your cannabis oil

phone/whatsapp/text/calls...... +31 97 00 50 34 579
drricksin@gmail.com

الاكمل كلين للخدمات المنزلية بالرياض said...

شركة نقل عفش بجدة
شركة نقل عفش بمكة

Daniel Lan said...

“I was walking and my husband was telling me to slow down because he couldn’t keep up with me.”
Denise F. lived with COPD and chronic asthma for many years. When her quality of life continued to decline, Denise decided to try something different.While being with her horses brought her peace and joy, not being able to breathe made spending time with them challenging. When her grandchildren would visit, she couldn’t even participate in their activities.After the herbal recommendation at the ( multivitamincare org ) Denise my best friend no longer needs oxygen or a walker and has seen many improvements. She can walk, clean her house, go shopping, enjoy a vacation, ride her horses, lift hay bales and do anything she wants to do.Now, when her grandchildren visit, they can ride horses together and make wonderful memories. And, Denise wants to lead the way, “I was walking and my husband was telling me to slow down because he couldn’t keep up with me.”
If you or someone you love has COPD, emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis or another chronic lung disease and would like to see results like Denise’s, contact them on their website to learn more about your lung disease treatment options how to overcome it.

Clara david said...

WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to search for cancer cure so that was how I found a lady called Peter Lizzy. She was testifying to the world about the goodness of a herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kinds of disease and the herbal man's email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister's help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +2348110114739 you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura visit his website https://drsakurahealthclinic.wixsite.com/website https://sites.google.com/view/herbalistsakura https://drsakuraspellcentre.blogspot.com/ https://drsakuraspellcentre.wordpress.com/ for the cure, he will help you out with the problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me davidclara223@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

عزل الاسطح
عزل اسطح