Specific information regarding the Communication Sciences and Disorders' Acute Care Speech Language Pathology practicum led by Carley Evans MS CCC SLP. Carley is a medical speech pathologist at the Evelyn Trammell Institute for Voice and Swallowing of the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. If you are new to this practicum, start with the oldest post listed in Archive.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Coma Arousal

If you are inclined, consider bringing in items to use in coma arousal/stimulation. Please don't purchase anything. Just look around, see what you already have that might be appropriate...

5 comments:

christie said...

I may bring a cold spoon from the freezer...It may thaw out a little, but maybe I could put it in the fridge on the 3rd floor when I get there. Also, maybe a feather or something light like that? What about music?

Carley said...

Christie,

Those are good ideas... the feather and music especially...and we could certainly try the cold spoon... I usually use cool vs. warm washcloths...

Think about smells, too...

Dr. Ed said...

Thank you Christie for a very good review of the electrical stimulation for coma treatment literature. I gave a talk not long after your blogs, at the University of Cambridge, England at the International Symposium on the Vegetative and Minimally Conscious State. My talk was on median nerve stimulation for coma. I can email my powerpoints and our best article (that you may not have seen in a UK journal -- Neuropsychology Rehabilitation -- about Oct 2005).
If you wish, please email me at cooperorthorehab@yahoo.com for more information.
Thanks,
Ed Cooper, MD
International Brain Research Foundtaion

Carley said...

Dr Ed,

Actually Christie is my practicum student here at MUSC.

Her review of the coma stimulation literature was completed as part of her studies here at TCU.

If you would like to send me your information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your comment.

Val Evans MS CCC SLP
Evelyn Trammell Institute for Voice and Swallowing, MUSC
evansval@musc.edu

Dr. Ed said...

Thanks Professor Evans,
Please send me a regular email to cooperorthorehab@yahoo.com and tonight I can send you the article in pdf and the ppts from my talk at Cambridge.
Ed C.