Specific information regarding the Communication Sciences and Disorders' Acute Care Speech Language Pathology practicum led by Carley Evans MS CCC SLP. Carley is a medical speech pathologist at the Evelyn Trammell Institute for Voice and Swallowing of the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston. If you are new to this practicum, start with the oldest post listed in Archive.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Patient Care Team Conference

During team conference, think in terms of "bullets" of information.
Keep your statements short, precise.
Avoid emotionalism, if possible.
Stay objective.

Advice for all of us!

2 comments:

christie said...

I did notice that I kept sighing when the nurses gave the patient's backgrounds because I felt so awful for them...I'll be sure to cut that out next time!

Carley said...

(That's funny. I didn't notice your sighing at all.)

I find that if I stick to what I have prepared (yep, almost reading it verbatim) I avoid saying something I haven't completely thought through.

And, this saves time.

Of course, I violate this "rule of thumb" on many occasions.